MERC Aerospace Greenbelt, MD
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Salary [Annual]: $75,000 – $120,000 *Dependent Upon Experience
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Engineering Technician
- Health Insurance & HSA
- Dental/Vision Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Plan
- Short & Long Term Disability Plan
- Honor current status of vacation time
- MERC Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Miller Engineering and Research Corporation (MERC Aerospace) offers professional expertise for the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) Systems Engineering Advanced Services (SEAS) contract. MERC is a team-oriented aerospace engineering firm dedicated to servicing the aerospace and aeronautical industries with unparalleled customer focus. We believe that great engineering starts with talented people like you.
Our employees work together as “one team” and are committed to delivering high-quality and creative engineering solutions to our customers in the aerospace and federal government arenas.
MERC Aerospace is seeking an Electrical Harness Technician. The technician will provide cable and harness assembly support, Ground Support Equipment needs, and may support flight fabrication as well.
- Perform repairs, fabrication, modification and installation of electrical wiring harnesses, cables, wires, wiring assemblies and associated parts for electrical ground support equipment and flight hardware
- Read and interpret work instructions, schematics, wirelists and drawings.
- Perform connector pin crimping, soldering, cabling and chassis wiring
- May be utilized in other electrical Integration and Test activities as well, depending on experience and qualifications.
- Ensure quality of the hardware is maintained and NASA quality and safety standards and procedures are followed.
- Ensure work is done with completeness, accuracy, adherence to operation sheets, ISO procedures, schedules and assigned tasks.
- Compile, record, and analyze test data and results to determine conformance to supplied documentation
- Communicate recommendations, issues, and risks to engineers and management
- Support the engineers in assessing and recommending design modifications.
- Maintain relevant certifications and knowledge of industry standard practices, procedures, and parts
- May participate in planning for procurement and kitting
Required Education and Experience:
- AA degree in relevant field and 6+ years of relevant experience or HS diploma and 8+ years of relevant experience required
- Cable harness fabrication and assembly experience, preferably at NASA or for a spaceflight/aerospace application
- Ability to perform soldering and crimping
- Knowledge of tools and equipment to perform required functions
- Ability to accomplish complex wiring tasks
- Experience with various hand tools and test equipment to include: multi-meters, vector network analyzers, copper certification testers, retention testers, and basic hand tools.
- Ability to read, interpret, understand, apply, and enforce engineering, technical, and maintenance specifications, policies, standards and procedures to ensure the quality and safety of assemblies
- Ability to communicate with the project engineer/designer on any issues pertaining to the task
- Ability to work within specific compliance standards and with accepted practices and work assignments
- Ability to obtain and maintain all relevant trainings and certification
- IPC J-STD-001, NASA 8739, and/or IPC-620 certification training
- Experience with polymeric applications
- Experience working with program requirements, equipment performance specs, wire connection lists, schematics, wire gauge sizing, connector selection and related cabling and harnessing documentation
- Knowledge of Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) and Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) considerations with respect to electrical design
- Familiarity with MIL standards and requirements, NASA standards and requirements, AS9100 or ISO 9001
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work as a team member
- Must be capable of functioning in multi-disciplined design teams across multiple systems
- Able to plan and prioritize work effort and quickly respond to issues and questions.
- Must be able to pass the NASA background process and obtain a Public Trust clearance.